News
-
South China Sea: Philippines to drag China to international court for damaging coral reefs in EEZ
The Philippines is taking steps to drag China to an international tribunal over alleged harvesting and destruction of coral reefs within its exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in the South China Sea. Read More –>South China Sea: Philippines to drag China to international court for damaging coral reefs in EEZ
-
Coast Guard: West Philippine Sea coral damage not drama, a serious crime
MANILA — The Coast Guard on Sunday rejected China’s claim that the Philippines is creating drama over the destruction of corals in parts of the West Philippine Sea, calling the harvesting and dumping of corals at Rozul Reef and Escoda Shoal a serious crime. A Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson earlier in the week accused Manila […]
-
Marcos scores ‘dangerous use’ of coast guard, militia vessels in South China Sea
SUMMARY JAKARTA, Indonesia – Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Thursday, September 7, urged the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and its allies to stand against the “dangerous use of coast guard and maritime militia vessels in the South China Sea.” Marcos, who was speaking at the 18th East Asia Summit (EAS) attended by […]
-
Marcos: South China Sea dispute isn’t about US-China competition
SUMMARY JAKARTA, Indonesia – Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said tensions in the South China Sea cannot be seen “solely through the lens of strategic competition between two powerful countries.” “The Philippines firmly rejects misleading narratives that frame the disputes in the South China Sea solely through the lens of strategic competition between two powerful […]
-
[OPINION] China resurrects its false claims on the South China Sea islands
SUMMARY China’s most mind-boggling claim to the South China Sea is the nine-dash line, which encloses about 85.7% of the waters of the South China Sea. China’s narrative is that it owned all the islands, oil, gas, fish and other resources within the nine-dash line 2,000 years ago. Never mind that it was only in the mid-20th […]
-
China insists on PH vow to tow grounded ship
MANILA, Philippines — China on Tuesday reiterated its earlier claim that the Philippines had promised to take out the World War II-era warship it had grounded since 1999 at Ayungin (Second Thomas) Shoal — prompting an official to assert the contrary and question Beijing’s credibility about its claim. Beijing also repeated its exhortation to Manila […]
-
Old US ship home to Filipinos in China standoff
ABOARD BRP SIERRA MADRE, Spratly Islands (AP) — On board the crumbling carcass of this World War II-era warship, Filipino marine 1st Lt. Mike Pelotera and his eight men make their way to a mid-level deck to raise the Philippine flag up a leaning pole and then salute it. Across the calm, turquoise waters, two […]
-
China ‘unreachable’ during water cannon incident in West Philippine Sea – DFA
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 8) — The Philippines could not reach China when it tried to contact Beijing through the hotline established between the two countries when Chinese vessels fired water cannon and blocked Philippine boats at Ayungin Shoal in the West Philippine Sea last week, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Monday. […]
-
Pro-China ‘political elite’ in the Philippines enables Chinese aggression in WPS — expert
MANILA, Philippines — Efforts of the “political elite” in the Philippines to gain greater influence with the Chinese government have contributed to the apparent failure of bilateral talks to deter Chinese aggression in the West Philippine Sea, a political analyst said. Political scientist Cleve Arguelles said this is most recently illustrated in China’s water cannon […]
-
‘Stop bullying us’: Duterte ally Go hits China after water canon incident in West PH Sea
MANILA (UPDATED) — Sen. Christopher “Bong” Go on Sunday urged China to “stop bullying” the Philippines after a Chinese Coast Guard ship used a water canon against a Philippine vessel delivering supplies to Ayungin shoal. “Kinukondena po natin ito… Stop bullying us,” said Go, a close ally of former President Rodrigo Duterte, who forged closer […]
-
US: China’s water cannon attack in WPS ‘threatening regional peace and stability’
MANILA, Philippines — The United States on Sunday said it stands with the Philippines after the China Coast Guard (CCG) fired a water cannon at a Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and military supply ship bound for Ayungin Shoal, calling the attack a threat to regional peace and stability. ADVERTISEMENT In a statement, the US Department […]
-
U.S. Support for the Philippines in the South China Sea
The United States stands with our Philippine allies in the face of dangerous actions by the Coast Guard and maritime militia of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) to obstruct an August 5 Philippine resupply mission to Second Thomas Shoal in the South China Sea. Firing water cannons and employing unsafe blocking maneuvers, PRC ships […]