News
-
Sinking Sparks Debate Over China’s Clout in South China Sea
The Chinese vessel Yuemaobinyu 42212 struck and sank the Philippine fishing boat Gem-Vir 1 near Reed Bank on June 9, then departed the scene without helping the stricken vessel’s crew. The area is home to long-simmering disputes over land claims and fishing rights, and some politicians in the Philippines have accused the Chinese vessel of carrying out an intentional…
-
Vietnam protests Chinese aggression, robbery on South China Sea
A fishing boat from Quang Nam Province which was robbed two tons of squid from a Chinese fishing vessel on June 2, 2019. Photo by Quang Nam Newspaper. Condemning Chinese vessels for robbing Vietnamese property in the South China Sea, Vietnam has demanded action against such crimes. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs worked with representatives from the Chinese embassy…
-
How China Treats a Friend
The ramming of a Filipino fishing boat by a Chinese vessel last week marked an escalation in the South China Sea. But you wouldn’t know it listening to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, who has become exhibit A for the folly of appeasing Beijing’s geopolitical ambitions. A Chinese fishing boat struck the F/B Gimver 1 on the edge of the Spratly…
-
China’s sea militia fingerprint seen in Reed Bank sinking
MANILA – The sinking of a Filipino fishing boat at Reed Bank has raised fears it might be the handiwork of Beijing’s maritime militia, a crucial component of its sea force asserting its sweeping claims over the South China Sea. The Philippines is no stranger to this flotilla of ordinary-looking but military-trained fishing vessels swarming strategic areas in the vital…
-
Taiwan ‘watching’ as Liaoning aircraft carrier sails into South China Sea
Taiwan’s military claims to have precise information about the movements and current location of the mainland’s carrier battle group as it sails into the disputed waters of the South China Sea. The self-ruled island’s defence ministry made the claims in a statement on Thursday but did not elaborate on the position or route of the Chinese aircraft carrier Liaoning and…
-
Satellite image reveals Beijing has deployed at least four supersonic fighter jets to its largest outpost in disputed South China Sea
China has deployed supersonic fighter jets to the contested Woody island in the South China Sea, a satellite image has revealed. The photo, taken by Israeli intelligence firm ImageSat International (ISI) on Wednesday, shows four J-10 warplanes parked on the Chinese-controlled island in the Paracel Islands. This is the first time since 2017 that fighter jets have been deployed to…
-
South China Sea: Satellite image shows Chinese fighter jets deployed to contested island
Hong Kong (CNN)A satellite image obtained by CNN shows China has deployed at least four J-10 fighter jets to the contested Woody Island in the South China Sea, the first known deployment of fighter jets there since 2017. The image was taken Wednesday and represents the first time J-10s have been seen on Woody or any Chinese-controlled islands in the…
-
South China Sea warning: Philippines considers extreme measures to embroil US in dispute
SOUTH China Sea tensions are on a knife-edge amid Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s ongoing row with China over a Philippine fishing vessel sunk in an alleged “hit and run” – and now the US could be dragged into the dispute. Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo made the statement after US Ambassador to the Philippines Kim Sung said foreign government-sanctioned attacks initiated…
-
Lacson: Duterte’s statement on Recto Bank incident ‘left us heartbroken’
MANILA, Philippines (3rd UPDATE) – President Rodrigo Duterte’s dismissive statement on the Recto (Reed) Bank incident has left Filipinos “heartbroken,” Senator Panfilo Lacson said on Tuesday, June 18. Lacson and other senators on Wednesday expressed disappointment over Duterte’s first-ever statement on Philippine fishing boat Gem-Ver that was sunk – and abandoned – by a Chinese vessel in the West…
-
Duterte: Sinking of PH fishing boat ‘a little maritime accident’
SANGLEY POINT, Cavite, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday dismissed the sinking of a Philippine fishing boat in the South China Sea after being hit by a Chinese trawler as a “little maritime accident” and said he would not go to war with China over the incident. Breaking his silence a week after the incident, the President said the…
-
China to work with PHL on ship ramming probe – ministry
China on Tuesday said that it was are ready to enhance communication with the Philippines on the investigation on the June 9 Recto Bank ramming of a Philippine fishing boat by a Chinese vessel. “We are ready… [to] increase understanding, dispel mistrust and find out what actually happened” said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang, adding, “China attaches great importance…
-
Villanueva: Duterte gov’t in ‘state of confusion’ over Reed Bank incident
MANILA – Sen. Joel Villanueva on Tuesday said the administration appears to be in a “state of confusion” over the incident involving a Chinese vessel and a Filipino fishing boat in the Recto (Reed) Bank in the West Philippine Sea. In a statement, Villanueva said government officials must provide clarity about the incident, as he noted how administration officials changed…